10 October 2010 174.2 – Paul tells the story of a Yankees pitcher who made his displeaure known by taking all his gear out on to the field and setting it on fire. The Professor poses the question – Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games? with attendances non existent, star athletes staying away and TV ratings down. Paul believes the organisers should be building on it for the coming 2014 games in Glasgow. The Gelding believes that athletes are more interested in World Championships. Paul wraps the 2010 NRL season, talks about his experience at the NRL Grand Final and the great second half by eventual premiers St George. He thinks the Sydney Roosters panicked in the second half. He also highlights an NRL match being investigated with players allegedly betting on a penalty goal to start the game. Dr Leslie comes along and cleans up after the NRL segment. Mark Fiorenti talks soccer and chats about the Heart v Victory local derby and the Socceroos great 1-0 win over Paraguay.
All in all a promoters dream in the 2010 World Cup – so many games changing so many fortunes all hanging on a knife edge in the 3rd round!
- No bigger than Chile v Spain – a Spanish loss and they are out.
- Italy v Slovakia – Italy must win to get through (NZ v Paraguay to add some smeltz…I’m sorry spice).
- Japan v Denmark – winner through to the next round.
- Germany v Ghana – could the unthinkable happen and Germany not qualify for the round of 16?
- Our Socceroos v Serbia – Aussie win may get us through depending on results, Serbian win sees them into the next round.
- Slovenia v England – a must win for England or one of the tournament favourites is going home! The spice is that if USA win, England must win by more to ensure a place in the next round.
- USA v Algeria – USA an unlikely member of the final 16 but should get through with a win.
- South Korea v Nigeria – Sth Korea will again move on to the round of 16 with a win.
- Greece v Argentina – Greece need to win by more than Sth Korea if they are to go through. A tall order against an undefeated Argentinian team.
- France v the host nation – You would think a France win on paper but has all the team unrest and infighting taken its toll? Besides if Uruguay v Mexico is a draw, this result doesn’t matter.
- Uruguay v Mexico – A winner heads the group whilst the loser may miss out. A draw and both go through.
How good is that 12 out of 16 games with a direct result on the next round.