23 January 2011 186.2 – Paul looks at Nathan Tinkler’s offer to buy the Newcastle Knights. He thinks that it will make the Knights stronger. There is also a discussion about Melbourne Storm again being in the news with a fan under threat of being sued over comments posted on social media. Shane Harmon, Communications Director for the Rugby Union World Cup in New Zealand comes on to talk about the World Cup beginning in September. The global TV reach will be greater than 4 billion people over the six weeks of the tournament with 1.5 million attendees at the matches. Mark Fiorenti with a big smile chats about the Socceroos making the semi finals of the Asian Cup with Harry Kewell hitting the winner against Iraq in extra time and now going on to play Uzbekistan in the semis. He also looks at A League and Premier League results. The Panel discusses the shrine to be built to remember Paul the oracle octopus. Mark says FIFA should consider decalring a calamari free Friday as a tribute. Bogus Powerbalance bracelets also come in for examination and Nick believes it says something about the intelligence of our athletes. Nick also comments on the selection of the Australian cricket one day side for the World Cup. He thinks the overlooking of Brad Hodge is astounding and defies logic and belief. Paul reviews the upcoming ABL finals and how the first season has developed. He says it is the best value for your sporting dollar that is going around at the moment. A tweet from a listener provokes a discussion regarding Channel 10 dropping Kelli Underwood from the commentary box to the AFL boundary line for season 2011. Nick says if she is good enough she should be in the commentary box. The Professor feelks she may have been rushed in without serving an apprenticeship calling football at a lower level.
All in all a promoters dream in the 2010 World Cup – so many games changing so many fortunes all hanging on a knife edge in the 3rd round!
- No bigger than Chile v Spain – a Spanish loss and they are out.
- Italy v Slovakia – Italy must win to get through (NZ v Paraguay to add some smeltz…I’m sorry spice).
- Japan v Denmark – winner through to the next round.
- Germany v Ghana – could the unthinkable happen and Germany not qualify for the round of 16?
- Our Socceroos v Serbia – Aussie win may get us through depending on results, Serbian win sees them into the next round.
- Slovenia v England – a must win for England or one of the tournament favourites is going home! The spice is that if USA win, England must win by more to ensure a place in the next round.
- USA v Algeria – USA an unlikely member of the final 16 but should get through with a win.
- South Korea v Nigeria – Sth Korea will again move on to the round of 16 with a win.
- Greece v Argentina – Greece need to win by more than Sth Korea if they are to go through. A tall order against an undefeated Argentinian team.
- France v the host nation – You would think a France win on paper but has all the team unrest and infighting taken its toll? Besides if Uruguay v Mexico is a draw, this result doesn’t matter.
- Uruguay v Mexico – A winner heads the group whilst the loser may miss out. A draw and both go through.
How good is that 12 out of 16 games with a direct result on the next round.